Andres Pico Adobe
The original part of the building was erected in 1834, with rooms and wings added at various times; and the second floor added in 1873. It is located on property referred to as the "Pico Reserve" following the Valley's occupancy and ownership by Andres Pico, general of the Mexican-California armed forces. He made the Mission his home during his rancho days, c 1845-1875. The Andres Pico Adobe was occupied by Romulo and Catarina Pico from c 1873-1890. It was restored in the 1930's by Dr. Mark R. Harrington. It has been refurbished by the San Fernando Valley Historical Society who manages the building for the L.A. Dept. of Recreation and Parks. The Society's headquarters are at the adobe, and also, the Mark R. Harrington Library of references on the San Fernando Valley and California.
Open the the public
Monday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and every third Sunday. The library is open to the public for research by
appointment, call 818 365-7810. Enter the parking lot from Brand Blvd. at its junction
with Sepulveda Blvd. Admission is free.
The Adobe is available for special occasions. Please call for details.
TEMPORARILY CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC
10940 Sepulveda Blvd., Mission Hills, CA 91345
|Lankershim Reading Room Built of redwood in 1904, it was originally part of Isaac Lankershim's ranch.|
|The photo on the right taken in 1925 depicts L.A. policeman/artist Claude A. Whisman doing a painting of the adobe shown on the left.|
Painting of De la Osa Adobe in Encino
Top of Page
Home | About Us | Calendar of Events | Contact | Join Us | Map | Volunteers
Board of Directors
Historical Societies | Links | Search Engines
San Fernando Valley Historical Society
Andres Pico Adobe * Box 7039/10940 Sepulveda Blvd., Mission Hills, CA 91346 * 818 365-7810